Wed, Oct 15, 2008
google_ad_client = “pub-5479925413534279”;
google_alternate_color = “FFFFFF”;
google_ad_width = 468;
google_ad_height = 60;
google_ad_format = “468x60_as”;
google_ad_type = “text”;
google_color_border = “ffffff”;
google_color_link = “0066CC”;
google_color_bg = “ffffff”;
google_color_text = “000000”;
google_color_url = “000000”;
google_ui_features = “rc:6”;
Here is a list of some of the worst food additives. Check food labels to make sure that what you buy doesnot contain these ingredients.
- Acesulfame-K – “Sunette”; may cause low blood sugar attacks; causes cancer, elevated cholesterol in lab animals.
- Artificial colors – contribute to hyperactivity in children; may contribute to learning and visual disorders, nerve damage; may be carcinogenic
- Artificial sweeteners – associated with health problems; see specific sweetener.
- Aspartame – may cause brain damage in phenylketonurics; may cause central nervous system disturbances, menstrual difficulties; may affect brain development in unborn fetus.
- BHA – can cause liver and kidney damage, behavioral problems, infertility, weakened immune system, birth defects, cancer; should be avoided by infants, young children, pregnant women and those sensitive to aspirin.
- BHT – see BHA; banned in England.
- Blue No. 1 – see FD&C colors.
- Blue No. 2 – see FD&C colors.
- Brominated vegetable oil – linked to major organ system damage, birth defects, growth problems; considered unsafe by the FDA, can still lawfully be used unless further action is taken by the FDA .
- BVO – see brominated vegetable oil.
- Caffeine – psychoactive, addictive drug; may cause fertility problems, birth defects, heart disease, depression, nervousness, behavioral changes, insomnia, etc.
- Citrus Red No. 2 – see FD&C colors.
- FD&C colors – colors considered safe by the FDA for use in food, drugs and cosmetics; most of the colors are derived from coal tar and must be certified by the FDA not to contain more than 10ppm of lead and arsenic; certification does not address any harmful effects these colors may have on the body; most coal tar colors are potential carcinogens, may contain carcinogenic contaminants, and cause allergic reactions.
- Free glutamates – may cause brain damage, especially in children; always found in autolyzed yeast, calcium caseinate, enzymes, flavors & flavorings, gelatin, glutamate, glutamic acid, hydrolyzed protein, hydrolyzed soy protein, plant protein extract, protease, protease enzymes, sodium caseinate, textured protein, yeast extract, yeast food and yeast nutrient; may be in barley malt, boullion, broth, carrageenan, malt extract, malt flavoring, maltodextrin, natural flavors, natural chicken flavoring, natural beef flavoring, natural pork flavoring, pectin, seasonings, soy protein, soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, soy sauce, soy sauce extract, stock, whey protein, whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, anything that is enzyme modified, fermented, protein fortified or ultrapasteurized and foods that advertise NO MSG; see MSG.
- Green No. 3 – see FD&C colors.
- Hydrogenated vegetable oils – associated with heart disease, breast and colon cancer, atherosclerosis, elevated cholesterol.
- MSG – may cause headaches, itching, nausea, brain, nervous system, reproductive disorders, high blood pressure; pregnant, lactating mothers, infants, small children should avoid; allergic reactions common; may be hidden in infant formula, low fat milk, candy, chewing gum, drinks, over-the-counter medications, especially children’s, binders and fillers for nutritional supplements, prescriptiona nd non-prescription drugs, IV fluids given in hospitals, chicken pox vaccine; it is being sprayed on growing fruits and vegetables as a growth enhancer; it is proposed for use on organic crops.
- Neotame – similar to aspartame, but potentially more toxic; awaiting approval.
- Nitrates – form powerful cancer-causing agents in stomach; can cause death; considered dangerous by FDA but not banned because they prevent botulism.
- Nitrites – may cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness; see nitrates.
- Nutrasweet – see aspartame.
- Olean – see olestra.
- Olestra – causes gastrointestinal irritation, reduces carotenoids and fat soluble vitamins in the body.
- Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils – see hydrogenated vegetable oil.
- Potassium bromate – can cause nervous system, kidney disorders, gastrointestinal upset; may be carcinogenic.
- Red No. 3 – see FD&C colors.
- Saccharin – delisted as a carcinogen in 1997, however, studies still show that saccharin causes cancer.
- Sulfites – destroys vitamin B1; small amounts may cause asthma, anaphylactic shock; dangerous for asthma, allergy sufferers; has caused deaths; banned on fresh fruits and vegetables, except potatoes.
- Sweet ‘N Low – contains saccharin.
- Yellow No. 6 – see FD&C colors.
The list can go on but for now these are the ones which I have summarised…..
Taken From: Nutrihealth